1. Check breakers in panel box. Make sure all are in the ON position.
2. Set thermostat controls - the Fan switch to “Auto” and the Cycle switch to “Cool.”
3. Adjust control lever to desire temperature setting. The unit should operate.
Holes should not be drilled in your apartment without our prior written consent, nor should any nails, hooks, or screws be used on any floors, doors, windows, tub, shower, appliances, or fixtures in the apartment.
Nothing should be fastened to the floors, doors, windows, walls, appliances, or fixtures in the apartment, the exterior walls, or porches of the buildings.
Please refrain from hanging signs, advertisements, or notices on the outside or inside of any apartment or building.
Locks on the doors leading to the apartment should not be altered without our consent. We must have a key to every lock at all times, and every lock must be compatible with the master key system for the building.
Please keep the breezeways and patio/balconies neat and clean at all times. Do not use these areas for storage or hang/drape articles from the railings or other portions of the balcony or patio.
The use of outdoor grills on balconies is PROHIBITED by county ordinance. If you use a grill from your patio, you must move the grill to the grassy area 15 feet from the building.
Leaseholders will be held personally responsible for property damage caused by their children and/or guests.
Please be sure that your children are supervised at all times. Our community policies do not allow parents or guardians to leave children without adult supervision.
We are obligated to report unattended children to child protective services agencies.
Common areas, sidewalks, entrances, lobbies, hallways, elevators, or stairways of the community should not be used for any purpose other than entry and exit. Please do not place or store furniture, equipment, or personal articles in any common areas for any period of time. We may remove any such items at any time, at your expense, including any storage costs.
All equipment located in your apartment or community should be used in a reasonable and careful manner. Equipment includes such things as toilets, sinks, electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, building access system, elevators, appliances, or other facilities. If you or your family, guests, or visitors use any equipment in a manner that causes damage to the equipment, you could be held responsible for the costs of repairing or replacing it.
If your community has a pool, you must pay any required fees prior to usage. For your safety, please obey all pool rules and regulations.
Games, sports, and other recreational activities are permitted only in designated areas. All rules and regulations must be obeyed including the days and hours that recreational facilities may be used.
We may at any time discontinue any recreational services or close down facilities either temporarily or permanently.
Items which weigh more than we determine is reasonable for the floor loading of the apartment are not permitted. You must check with us before bringing heavy items (i.e., waterbeds, safes, etc.) into the apartment.
It is your responsibility to replace any light bulbs that burn out during your occupancy. You will be charged if we have to install light bulbs after you vacate your apartment.
However, as a courtesy, we will replace any light bulbs that burn out during the first 30 days of occupancy.
The Sycamores have a specific key tracking system; therefore, prior to installing, management MUST approve any alteration or addition to the locks.
If you would like your locks changed, management will be happy to change them for you for a $50.00 fee.
If a resident is locked out during normal business hours, please call the leasing office and our maintenance personnel will help you by opening the door of the apartment for the resident.
If you are locked out during weekends or after normal business hours, please call the emergency contact number 703-471-1004 giving your name and address.
A valid identification such as a driver's license or other identification card must be shown to our on-call maintenance personnel to prove that you are a resident of The Sycamores.
The first call for a lock-out after business hours or weekends will be free of charge. The second call and thereafter, there will be a $50.00 lock out fee.
Please keep in mind we may remove any vehicle at the owner’s expense if it appears abandoned, inoperable, does not display an inspection sticker and/or license plates, or the inspection and/or registration is expired.
We apologize, but due to local water restrictions and hazardous substance ordinances, we cannot allow residents or their guests to work on their vehicles in the community parking areas. Vehicles may be washed only in designated areas. If there is no designated area, then washing vehicles is not allowed.
Electrical Receptacles Not Working
1. Check breakers in panel box, they must be in the ON Position.
2. Check receptacles controlled by a wall switch. Make sure the switch is ON and the top plug is used.
How To Reset Panel Box Breakers
1. Open panel cover door and visually inspect breakers. Breakers are “tripped” when they are midway between the ON and OFF positions. Some breakers show a red area in the center when “tripped.”
2. To reset the breaker, turn it all the way to the OFF position. Then turn it back to the ON position. If breaker will not reset, push it to the OFF position and call the office.
1. Do not use excessive force to open or close the door.
2. Make sure your patio door track guides are kept clean and free of debris.
Quiet hours run from 10:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. seven days a week. This does not mean you cannot make noise or have a guest visit your home; we just ask that you please be respectful of your neighbors.
Noise, odors, or any other actions that cause a disturbance are not permitted. Please do not interfere with the rights, comforts, or convenience of other residents or community staff.
Remember you are responsible for the conduct of your family, friends, guests, and anyone you invite into the community.
We will make reasonable efforts to stop neighbors from disturbing your peace, but we cannot be responsible for controlling their actions. If you are seriously disturbed by activities at your neighbor’s apartment, please call the police.
Routine pest control is done on a rotating schedule throughout the community. When your building is due for treatment, we will notify you by placing a notice on your door in advance.
If you have any special requests or needs prior to the regular treatment of your building, please call the leasing office so we can schedule you for treatment.
Cats & dogs are welcome at your community. A Pet Agreement is required for all pets and additional fees apply. Any violation of pet rules and regulations can result in charges to your account, loss of pet privileges, or eviction. See restrictions below.
Number of Pets
Pet Friendly Areas
Pets may be restricted to certain buildings and/or floor levels within the community.
Service Animals or Assistance Animals for Disabled
Service animals or other assistance animals for disabled residents will always be permitted with verification that the resident qualifies as disabled and requires the animal in order to have equal opportunity to use and enjoy the apartment and community. A Pet Addendum will be required; however, all fees, deposits, and renters’ insurance requirements specific to the animal will be waived. Rules and regulations will apply to the animal.
The following dog breeds are not allowed (no full or mix of any of the following):
- Alaskan Malamute
- American Bulldog
- Dogo Argentino
- German Shepherd
- Presa Canario
- Staffordshire Terrier/Pit Bull
or any other breed prohibited by management for life/safety reasons. We may change the restricted breed list after thirty (30) days notice; however, if such change means that your dog will no longer be allowed, then your dog will nonetheless be permitted (grandfathered) until the expiration of your then-current lease term. No “visiting” pets are allowed.
Pet Rules and Regulations
- Pets must be licensed and immunized in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Dogs are not allowed outside the apartment unless on a leash (in accordance with local leash laws) and under your control or under the control of your designated responsible person.
- Cats must be indoors only. Only domestic breeds are allowed.
- Pets must not be left alone, at any time, outside the apartment. Animal control will be called to remove any pets left unattended within the community.
- Dogs may not be tied to any fixed object (such as a tree) anywhere in the community. You may not keep your pet on the balconies or patios unleashed or unattended at any time.
- No pets are allowed in the swimming pool areas, other apartments, laundry rooms, offices, clubrooms, or other recreational facilities, except as required by applicable laws related to service animals or other assistance animals.
- Dogs and cats must be housebroken. Dogs and cats must be spayed or neutered, and no pet offspring are allowed.
- Pets must be walked and curbed only in designated areas. You are responsible for immediate clean-up of pet waste. Pet waste is to be disposed of properly in plastic bags and placed in the dumpsters or other designated dog stations.
- You will not allow any pet to become a nuisance or danger to other residents, which includes, but is not limited to, biting, excessive barking, or whining.
- Upon maintenance requests, dogs must be restricted to an area not affected by the service request.
- You are responsible for any extermination fees incurred as a result of keeping a pet in the apartment.
We may change any of the above Pet Rules and Regulations after thirty (30) days’ notice.
Chapter 109.1 of the Fairfax County Code requires all multi-family properties, like ours, to recycle.
Here at The Sycamores, we recycle mixed paper and cardboard.
Our recycling facilities for mixed paper are located at all trash enclosures by buildings 1801,1804,1809,1811 and 1821. Mixed paper includes almost any paper you can think of. It includes newspapers, junk mail, envelopes (with or without windows), sticky notes, colored paper, magazines, fliers, advertisements, cereal boxes and other similar paperboard, computer paper, etc.
Our recycling facility for Cardboard boxes is located by the corner of building 1811.Carboard includes any corrugated containers including moving boxes and product packaging. It is ok to recycle paper and cardboard with ink or printed glossy finish. The only items you should not put in the paper or cardboard recycling are wax-coated paper (including milk cartons), foil coated paper, and pizza boxes.
Please try to recycle all that you can. When you recycle, you're doing your part to protect our environment. If you have any questions about using the recycling facilities, please contact us.
Outside Lighting - We conduct regular light inspections to make sure all outside lights are operating. If you notice a light is out, please help us by reporting it to the office immediately.
A maintenance service can only be performed when it is issued from the office. Please call the office to place a request.
Keep Doors/Windows Locked - Notify the office immediately of any faulty doors or window locks. Lock your cars, doors, and windows when you are at home or away.
Keep Valuables Out of Sight - Do not leave valuables in your car. Secure items such as car phones, radar detectors, and portable stereos. Never leave cash or jewelry visible.
Keep your patio and balcony front entrance free of personal belongings. Keep blinds, shades and drapes closed at night.
Please do not bring anything into your apartment or the community that increases the risk of fire. Things that could cause an increased risk of fire include flammable oils, fluids, propane, benzene, gasoline, kerosene, or other hazardous materials.
Please refrain from cooking or barbecuing on a porch, patio, balcony, or within 15 feet of any building, except as expressly permitted by your community.
Antennas and aerials are NOT PERMITTED on this property. Satellite dishes are permitted WITH CONDITIONS and provisions. You must have a signed Satellite Dish Addendum on file PRIOR to installing your dish.
We have contracted a company called BrightView for snow and ice removal operations. Please adhere to the following guidelines related to snow removal:
- All communications regarding snow removal operations should be directed to our Leasing Office (e.g., if plowing or sidewalk clearing has not occurred in your section of the community). If the office is closed due to inclement weather, please leave a voicemail message, as they are monitored and responded to! BrightView has been instructed to only communicate with Community Managers.
- BrightView will begin snow removal operations after two (2) inches of snow has accumulated on paved surfaces or at the discretion of the community.
- Parking spaces will be truck bladed to the extent that parked vehicles permit (at least three unoccupied parking spaces in a row) during the original plowing service. Roadways will be plowed curb to curb, or as close to the curb, as the roadway allows.
- BrightView snowplow operators will attempt to push the snow off the roadway in smooth, continuous passes with the blades angled toward the road to not create large drifts of snow in front of parked cars; however, the contractor is not responsible for removing snow from behind/around cars after the snow removal service. This will inevitably occur each time the truck plows snow from the street, but BrightView has been cautioned to avoid this as much as possible.
- After the snow has been removed, BrightView will use rock salt on the drivelanes and parking areas and ice melt for the sidewalks.
- Snow should never be shoveled onto streets, sidewalks, or other parking spaces. BrightView is not responsible for the removal of snow piled by residents in these areas. When shoveling or blowing snow, please place it onto grass-covered common areas. Visit the Leasing Office to borrow a spare shovel if needed.
- If you are essential personnel or are required to be available for work, please make private arrangements or park on a public or adjacent street.
- Snow removal and ice melt will not be applied to your patio area during winter months by BrightView of the community. Under the provisions of your lease, it is your responsibility to keep your apartment in a clean, orderly, and safe condition. This includes the patio area. Failure to do so will be at your own risk.
Our community is private property and soliciting is strictly forbidden. This is for your privacy and safety.
We ask that you cooperate by reporting to the management office any solicitors who may call on you or leave pamphlet/brochures at your door, except by invitation.
1. Please do not hang anything from the sprinklers. Do not touch them at all if possible.
2. If they are damaged due to the resident’s doing, the resident will be charged for any repairs.
Additional storage is available for a fee of $25/month.
1. Purchase a plunger and try to unclog the toilet.
2. Do not flush objects down the toilet other than toilet paper. Items such as paper towels, Q-tips, etc. are not to be flushed down the toilet. If they are found as the cause of the maintenance problem you will be charged accordingly.
3. Shut off water if toilet starts to overflow. The water shut off valve is located against the wall on the left side of the toilet.
All trash should be placed in plastic bags and disposed of in the dumpster. Bulk items should never be disposed of outside of waste enclosures or left on community grounds. All boxes and cartons should be broken down before being placed in the dumpsters.
Management will assess a $50.00 charge to the resident for each bag of trash that The Sycamores finds that is not properly disposed of.
Please do not place any trash in halls, stairways, balconies, or laundry rooms. Management shall have the right to remove and dispose of any items left in the hallways or other common areas without replacing these items or reimbursing the owner.
If there is a need for an emergency water shut off in your apartment, shut off valves are located as follows.
Kitchen - All cut-offs are located under the sink.
Bathroom - The water cut-off for the sink is located under the sink and the water cut-off for the toilet is located against the wall under the left side of the tank.